NEED TO KNOW
Schafner Point Lighthouse What
• – A lighthouse built in 1885 in Port Royal. It played a key role in the region’s fishing and trade history. The lighthouse is still working today, guiding boats through the narrow channel around Goat Island.
• The latest – The building is need of repairs and the Port Royal Lighthouse Association was recently formed to take ownership of the property and undertake the work.
• Who – The association’s board consists of chairperson Medea Holtz, treasurer Andrew Welch, secretary Becky Benoit, Mary Ritchie, Randy Swigart and Allan Holtz.
• How to help – People can donate to the project through the GoFundMe campaign at Save the Port Royal Lighthouse or e-transfer to PortRoyalLighthouseAssociation@ gmail.com.
• More information – The association has a website (http://www.portroyallighthouse.ca/) and a Facebook page (Port Royal Lighthouse).