Rev. John Burnyeat gave up the rectorship in Sackville, N.B., to become a visiting missionary. His district covered Colchester, Cumberland, Pictou and Antigonish counties, and part of Halifax, as well as Westmoreland and Kent counties in New Brunswick. He established an Anglican presence in Truro in 1820. The following year, construction began on a church. It was completed in 1825 and about two years later a bell was installed. The Parish of St. John’s was established in 1835 and Burnyeat was the first rector. He remained until his death in 1843. By 1860 membership had grown so much, due to the railway bringing people to the community, that it was decided to build a new church. The old building was moved to another area of the property while the new building was constructed. Wallace sandstone was used and when Founders’ Memorial Link was built in 2016 stone from Wallace was used again. The link, which has an elevator, makes the church fully accessible. Burials originally took place in the churchyard, but in 1873 land on Kaulback Street was purchased and Terrace Hill Cemetery was established. In 1938, 60 of the early stones from around the church, some dating back to 1784, were moved to Terrace Hill. One stone has been placed in a display case in Founders’ Memorial Link, to represent the early members of the church. On Feb. 19, 2010 there was a name change from St. John the Evangelist to The Parish of St. John at Truro because of the inclusion of parishioners from Christ Church Anglican, in Clifton, and St. George’s Anglican, in Bible Hill. Current clergy members are Rev. Lori Ramsey, and associate priests Rev. Gary Yetman and Rev. Dorothy Tay.